Discover the best apps and games to improve Working Memory.
Create a personalized learning profile to help your child build stronger, smarter Working Memory skills today.
What is Working Memory?
Working Memory is the thinking skill that focuses on memory-in-action: the ability to remember and use relevant information while in the middle of an activity.
Download our free ebook, “What is Working Memory?” to learn more about this vital thinking skill, and why it’s so important for your child’s success.
How it Works
How does Working Memory Work?
Working Memory is a crucial skill that affects every area of a child’s life. This skill allows a child to recall and utilize information while performing an activity. It is vital to activities like taking notes, following multi-step directions, and completing complex mathematical calculations. Working Memory also plays an important role in reading comprehension.[one_half]
Kids with good Working Memory skills:
- Can remember and follow complicated directions.
- Have the ability to use what they have learned in a previous experience in a new situation.
- Maintain their level of engagement while performing tasks, even when shifting activities within a given task.
- Reorganize their thoughts or materials in a fashion that encourages further learning.
- Are able to sustain their attention throughout tasks.
Kids with underdeveloped Working Memory skills:
- Remember only the first or last things in a series of directions.
- Have difficulty with tasks that entail more than one step.
- Forget what they are doing in the middle of doing it.
- Can be absent-minded and often need help from adults to remember directions.
- Are confused when attempting to complete multi-step math problems.
Working Memory and Digital Play
Playing video games, searching the Internet, trying out the newest app, or Facebooking a friend demands a variety of Thinking Skills. For children, the attraction of video games and technologies makes them an ideal teaching tool for practicing game-based skills and learning to apply them to school and daily activities.
Working Memory is a skill that is routinely applied in many games and apps, ranging from simple gaming tasks, such as recalling which buttons to push on a controller, to more complex tasks like understanding the many functions of a photography or social app.
Latest Articles on Working Memory
Top 5 Games for Training Working Memory
Working Memory is an important skill for classroom success, and one that helps young learners internalize information and put it to use when necessary. However, improving these skills isn’t always… Read More
Five Ways to Build Your Child’s Working Memory Skills
There are many highly effective ways to build your child’s Working Memory skills to help with reading, math, attention, and studying. However, it may be more important to know what, when, how, why, and… Read More
LW4K Picks: Best Apps for Working Memory
Working Memory is a vital skill for children’s success. From developing a good vocabulary, to recalling mathematical formulas, memory-in-action plays a major role in academics. However, children with… Read More
Find out if your child needs to improve Working Memory skills
Get a glimpse of your child’s personal learning profile by taking our Free Sample Thinking Skills Test.