What is Focus?
Focus is the thinking skill that helps you to:
- get started on a new project.
- pay attention to what you are doing.
- not get distracted.
For example, you use your Focus skills when you manage to keep working on your homework even though your little brother or sister is making a lot of noise.
Sammy & Ugene
In this comic strip, Ugene has been given a difficult and complicated homework assignment. Instead of staying focused and finishing his work, he lets himself get distracted, and never even starts.
What can you do?
If you have a hard time doing chores like cleaning your room because you often get distracted by your toys and games, you might need help improving your Focus skills. The good news is that we can help!
Here are some simple ideas that you can use to maintain your Focus instead of letting yourself get distracted:
- Exercise! Doing some vigorous exercise before you start your homework will help you to pay attention and stay focused.
- Turn a boring task into a challenge or competition with yourself, a friend, or a sibling. For example, set a goal of emptying the dishwasher and putting everything away in under 10 minutes, or get your brother or sister to see who can successfully clean his or her room the fastest.
- Visualize or imagine what your results will be like and keep that in mind as you work.